Membership Drive On Now!
Support the North Tahoe Democrats by becoming a member today. Now through June 30, begin or renew your annual membership at these discounted rates:
• Individual: $25 (after June 30: $35)
• Student: $10 (after June 30: $20)
Please visit http://www.northtahoedems.org to join on-line, or send a check to:
North Tahoe Democrats
PO Box 5152
Incline Village, NV 89450.
Join or renew your membership at the June 11th meeting, or visit the Join section on our Web site. We will also have our cool new custom-designed pins, hats, and shirts available. Become a supporting member and get yourself some swag for free!
white House Watch
• "By the way, it isn’t just environmentalists who want us to remain a part of the Paris accord. Exxon Mobil lobbied for us to stay in it. Shell wanted us in it. Walmart supported it. Because apparently these big companies ran the numbers, and it turns out if climate change destroys human life on Earth, it could be bad for business." (Jimmy Kimmel)
• "Two words: subpoena power." (California Congressman Ted Lieu, on why winning back the House in 2018 is so important)
• Republicans continue to hide their heads in the sand when it comes to the Trump-Russia investigation, but the upcoming testimony by fired FBI Director James Comey promises to blow the lid off the White House's efforts to make it go away.
• We love you, Dear Leader: "President Trump has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000. He has built great relationships throughout his life and treats everyone with respect. He is brilliant with a great sense of humor . . . and an amazing ability to make people feel special and aspire to be more than even they thought possible.” (Hope Hicks, White House spokesperson, who clearly drank the Kool-Aid)
• "The president and a small group of people know exactly what he meant." (Sean Spicer, on Trump's infamous "Despite the constant negative press covfefe" tweet)
• "Idiot." "Incompetent." "Liar." (The top three responses in a Quinnipiac poll, which asked respondents to name the first word that came to mind when thinking about Trump)
• Check out Al Franken's new book "Al Franken, Giant of the Senate" - a very amusing read (poor Ted Cruz)!
Be an Inspiration!
Democratic activism has reached an unprecedented level in the months since the election of Donald Trump. Please send us pictures and short write-ups of events you attend (protests, town halls, and so on), and we may feature you in our In Action section of our Web site and in our newsletter.
NTD In Action
Sometimes We Win
After a week of holding the bill on his desk, hostage to the voucher mayhem at the NV Legislature, and with a few hours left on the clock, Sandoval signed SB233 which includes all the provisions of AB249 PLUS preventive care like mammograms and prenatal care.
Too Often We Lose
Unfortunately, SB265, which sought to lower the cost of essential diabetes drugs, by requiring companies to report the costs of producing and marketing the drug along with any rebates that they provide for the drugs, was vetoed by Governor Sandoval.
Upcoming Partner Action - Nevada Conservation League Petition Signature Drop-off
Tuesday, June 6th from 10-11am
Meeting in front of the State Legislature and then walking next door to Capitol.
Thousands of petition signatures from across the state in favor of AB206 will be presented to show the bipartisan support for clean energy legislation and urging the Governor to sign it. Bring signs.